Monday, February 9, 2015

Reading the transcript of Bob Dylan's acceptance at the MusiCares Person of the Year 2015 award gave me plenty to think about and some that I would rather not. Dylan was the first person that I was aware of that became a star in the world of what I call Pop music, although I gather he would rather I not call his music Pop, that went against the rules, i.e. didn't have a "nice" voice, his songs were too troublesome, they made you think, he took on the establishment (fine for folk music but not for AM radio) Remember this is 1963 when he first came into my universe and the Pop music of the day was mostly bubbly boy meets girl and girl gets run over by a train running back for a ring, fun songs about surfing and hot rods and of course slow songs made for getting closer to your best other than you were allowed to do when the music stopped, silly songs, Charley Brown and Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and then that disturbance from across the ocean called The British Invasion who wanted to Hold Your Hand and Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good. Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
Bob said then and today that this has to stop. Silly songs about boy meets girl are not serious, not worthy of acceptance. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a popularity contest, not worthy of representing what Rock and Roll was really about.
But then Bob goes on to say that "My gal is red hot, Your gal ain't doodly  squat" is what the essence of rock and roll is all about. I guess he is serious about comparisons and truth be told I loved that song by Billy Lee Riley as well. Where would the Spoonful fit in to this world. Hand in your Rock and Roll membership card Mr. Boone, your songs are not serious.
Actually I think I know where Dylan is coming from and he does go on to comment about the insular atmosphere in the music powerhouses of Nashville and New York as well Southern California. Once the clique is established the rules are set against newcomers and the entry bar is not set high but unclimbable.
Today's Rock and Roll: The one thing that I agree whole heartedly with Dylan is that todays' rock and rollers ain't got no rhythm. The have grown up with drum machines and pro tools and at least in the studio have never had to play in time as a band would have had to 50 years ago. It is all about attitude today and attitude breeds volume both noise levels and verbal roller derby.
So Rave on Bob Dylan, you led the way in 1963 and who's to say you can't still in 2015 at the least MusiCares does.

No comments:

Post a Comment